Saturday, June 22, 2013

Dependency



Whether we realize it or not, all of us lean on or depend on something or someone as we face the circumstances of each day.  For some it may be family or friends, for others it may be physical strength, intelligence, beauty, wealth, or achievements.  Or you may find for different situations your default dependency mode changes on what you rely on. 

I asked myself today what is it I normally default to for dependency.  And for me it is my husband, Jim.  When the car breaks down, when the kids need help, when I have a major decision to make, etc. my default mode is to call Jim and get his help or run something by him.  And this is not bad – I think this is what marriage is all about.  However, relying on any one of these things can be risky, because every one of them can let you down. 

Family or friends may advise you wrongly.  And as we all know physical strength and beauty diminish over time.  Wealth and achievements can fade.  Any of these can be gone in a moment’s notice. 

I think the rub of the matter is to balance expectations.  Because if our expectations fail us - disappointment, anger, or depression can settle in for the long haul.  And this is much worse than the situation with the failed expectation.

As a Christian I believe God wants me to look to Him for my reliance, for my dependency.  In the moment, I need to pray to ‘see’ Jesus - to see Him standing right next to me to uphold me. 

I so identify with this quote from Dr. Joseph Stowell, “Self-sufficiency is a terrible place to be, because it is the worst deceit you can bring on yourself.  You need God.  You need God every minute of your life.  I believe God knows that, and he desires fellowship and dependency from you, radical dependency in terms of your relationship with Him.”

Isaiah 41:10  Fear not, for I am with you.  Be not dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you.  I will help you; I will uphold you with My victorious right hand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment