Monday, July 15, 2013

Morning Kiss




This year my parents will celebrate 66 years of marriage.  A couple weeks ago while I was home visiting, my mom says to my dad around 10 in the morning, “Jim, I haven’t had my morning kiss.”  At the moment that she said this, my dad was getting out of his chair.  At age 96 Dad is a wee bit wobbly on his feet and needs his cane to help his balance which was not by his chair.  I am sitting in the love seat across from this witnessing this entire encounter.  I have my foot elevated healing from a broken ankle.  And I myself usually have to get my balance when standing due to some lack of feeling in my foot from the two surgeries on my ankle. 


So my mom who has always walked the speed of light, even at age 88, jumps out of her chair and heads for her morning kiss from my dad.  I am sitting there thinking, “Oh Lord, please don’t let either one of them fall over because I would not be able to break the fall nor probably be able to help them up if one or both of them fell”.  So my mom who is all of 5’1” lunges for my dad who is 5’10” for her morning kiss and wraps her arms around his neck as both teeter for balance and I pray they don’t fall and can enjoy this morning kiss.  They did not fall and both enjoyed the kiss.


What a fantastic legacy I have been blessed to be born into.

No comments:

Post a Comment